Rich Township is one of 29 townships in Cook County, Illinois and serves 9 municipalities including: Country Club Hills, Flossmoor, Hazel Crest, Homewood, Matteson, Olympia Fields, Park Forest, Richton Park, and Tinley Park.
The Senior Center serves as a hub for seniors to gather, learn new skills, and participate in activities. The center’s effectiveness in providing a social outlet to meet the needs of a diverse community of residents 50 years and older or disabled hinges upon how well the Senior Services Director performs their responsibilities.
Position: The Senior Services Director is responsible for the direction and leadership of operational, financial, programmatic, and personnel activities for the Senior Center. This full time position will be based in Rich Township’s Senior Center located in Richton Park, IL.
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Rich Township Administrator, duties include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate with the Rich Township Administrator to plan and implement community programs geared to enhance the seniors’ lifestyles.
- Supervise the center’s paid and volunteer staff and coordinate schedules and activities to ensure the smooth operation of the overall programs.
- Develop and coordinate activities that are suitable to the seniors’ abilities and interests, which can include surfing the Internet, using email, performing word processing tasks, learning how to use a cell phone, playing golf, and/or going on a nature walk.
- Arrange funding for activities from private and public sources, as well as writing grants for larger center purchases and programs.
- Coordinate all activities involving the maintenance and repair of the senior center.
- Coordinate transportation and access to social events.
- Continually assess all services, identify problems, and utilize data to analyze and propose innovative approaches for solutions
- Track data related to grants, volunteer work; write reports and balance spreadsheets.
- Attend meetings, recruit volunteers, talk with staff members, attend board meetings and meet with community agencies.
- Other related duties may be assigned.
Education, Experience & Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree required; degree in Human Services or related field strongly preferred.
- Must be willing to obtain certifications such as those for CPR and as a Qualified Food Operator.
- Supervisory experience developing staff.
- Must have an interest in the well-being of seniors and be knowledgeable about the things that affect seniors.
- Know how to plan and organize activities for seniors and enjoy working with this age group.
- The applicant’s personal background, experience, or professional background should reflect an ability to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with residents, co-workers and the communities we serve.
- Computer proficiency, including familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational and coordination skills.
- The ability to work well under pressure, and to learn and retain new information.
- Availability for Infrequent evening and weekend activities is required.
- Connection to Rich Township communities is a plus.
- Experience working with volunteers is a plus.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Rich Township offers a comprehensive benefits package, health plan options, group life and long-term disability insurance, paid time off, and much more.
Working conditions: The physical demands, work environment factors and mental functions described in this job description are representative of those necessary to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position as required under Federal and State law.
To apply: Send resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for two professional references to email@example.com. Put the phrase “Senior Services Director” in the subject line of the e-mail. No phone calls please. Position will remain open until filled.
Rich Township is firmly committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age religion, marital or parental status, alienage, disability, political affiliation or belief, military or military discharge status, or ex-offender status.